Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Texas Tuesday-Small Town Museum with Big Time History

Remember the Texas Tuesday post several weeks ago...the small town fun one that was never on my blogging schedule?  Well, here's another one for you.  Another spot that was never meant to be blogged about.  If you are local, it's one to put on your list.  I have lived in the area all my life.  I can't tell you how many times I drove past this museum and never gave it a second look.


A few weeks ago, I took my son to the Audie Murphy American Cotton Museum in Greenville, Texas.  Big sis was gone for the afternoon.  I had gotten off work early.  He and I wanted to hangout somewhere simple, local yet new.  As I have said before, Chief is a major history buff and loves all types of museums.  I have found it interesting this summer that some of our favorite museums are either free or super cheap!  This one was no exception!  It was a whopping $2 for kids (6-18) and $6 for adults.  They also give a military discount!  So Chief and I explored a museum with cool AC for over an hour for a whole $8!


The main focus is largely on Audie Murphy, the most decorated solider in WWII.  He earned every medal a solider could earn before the age of 21!! The museum even had his Purple Heart on display.  Pretty amazing if you ask me.  There are also exhibits that take you through WWII, the weapons used during war as well as history of cotton farming in Hunt County.

This museum made for a nice little afternoon.  We checked out the museum and then hit up Sweet Frogs.  He enjoyed his "mom and me" date and I only spent $13 all afternoon!

Hugs y'all!
Melissa

 

No comments:

Post a Comment