Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Texas Tuesday-Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake

Welcome back on this fine Tuesday.  In my neck of the woods, it is not sure if it wants to pour down rain and just be a regular spring day (for you non-Texans, there's not really a difference).  I took a couple of days off because frankly, I did not have anything I really wanted to write about.  But today I do and it is YUMOLICIOUS!!!  (Yes ma'am that's a word.  You're welcome!)  This is not an original recipe from me but I wished it was.  
My mama got me probably one of the best Christmas gifts ever this past year...PIONEER WOMAN cookbooks!!  I was "jonesing" for a great dessert while flipping through her books one day.  Then I found it...  What I will now refer to as the "best chocolate sheet cake in the entire world!"  I made it on a Monday night and needless to say, it did not last until the weekend.  This cake is the type that gets better the day after.  Don't get me wrong.  It's delicious straight out of the oven.  But when you give it a day to let the icing soak it, it turns into "shut the front door" fabulous. 

I am including the recipe list for you to make a quick list.  But for the detailed instructions, go to the link above.  I did not include the chopped pecans in my cake and it was still good.  Chief does not like nuts in his food so that was my reason for omitting them.

FOR THE CAKE:
  • 2 cups Flour
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
  • 2 sticks Butter
  • 1 cup Boiling Water
  • 1/2 cup Buttermilk
  • 2 whole Beaten Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  •  
  • FOR FROSTING:
  • 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Pecans
  • 1-3/4 stick Butter
  • 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
  • 6 Tablespoons Milk
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 pound (minus 1/2 Cup) Powdered Sugar

  • The Pioneer Woman's chocolate sheet cake really is THE BEST!!!  (and it's so darn easy!!)  I take it to bbq's, birthdays, whatever.  It's a big hit! / Actually an "old time" recipe - my 87 yr. old neighbor & my grandmother made this exact for years -- STILL a requested favorite but now we do the cooking!!
    (Photo credits-Pioneer Woman)
     
    Be sure to make you some sweet tea for a real Southern snack.  Or add a glass of wine if that is more you thing...it goes pretty good with wine:)
     
    Hugs y'all!
    Melissa
     
     



      


     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment