Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Texas Tuesday-Texas Girl Taco Soup

It's chilly...It's raining...and unfortunately, today was not a day I could stay home and craft (insert huge crying face!)  I really love those days that it starts out humid and "warm-ish" but before lunch it's cold and I wished I had sent my kids to school with a jacket.  Don't worry...my "mom of the year" award should be in the mail.  That's Texas for you! This weekend we actually had a "chilly" forecast.  I decided it was cool enough for me to whip up my taco soup in the crockpot. During the winter, I could eat this stuff 3-4 nights a week.   I got the original recipe from one of the little crockpot recipe books but it's evolved over the past couple of years.  I took ingredients out that we don't like and added more of what we do like.   That's how it became the Texas Girl Taco Soup!
               


The grocery list is pretty simple for this one:
1-can of pinto beans
1-can of kidney beans
1-11/2 pounds of ground beef
1 can of Rotel
1 packet of taco seasoning (you choose but I prefer mlld)
11/2 cup of chicken broth
1 cup of chunky salsa

Grated cheese and Frito chips for garnish****

1.  Cook the ground beef first.
2.  While the meat is cooking, drain the cans of pinto and kidney beans using a colander.
3.  Once the beans are drained and meat cooked, add all ingredients to the crockpot.  Stir well so that the taco seasoning is mixed well.
4.  Set your crockpot to low and let cook for 6-8 hours

I like to layer Fritos on the bottom of my bowl and add the soup over them.  Then sprinkle grated cheese over the top.  Yum!!!  If you want to add some more tex-mex spunk, add chopped up avocado over the top!  If I make this for a big group, I double everything!!

Hugs y'all!
LSG
Too Much Time On My Hands

No comments:

Post a Comment