Monday, November 17, 2014

Make It Monday-Simple Thanksgiving Tablescape

Let's face it...Thanksgiving is coming in hot and fast! The holidays are coming whether you are ready or not!  Family is coming whether you ready or not.  Kids are about to be out of school for an ENTIRE week whether you are ready or not...you get the point.
The table tends to be the focus of Thanksgiving, right?   You and your loved ones are all gathered around, blessing the fabulous meal before you.  Then you tend to linger around the table after dinner (unless you're a guy who goes straight for the football on TV). Even though you are completely stuffed, you keep managing to find room for another dinner roll...or a bite of pie...or a second helping of dressing. Why not make the table the focal point?  It's easy to decorate and takes very little time with these helpful ideas I am about to give you.  You could go elaborate with your centerpiece.  We don't do elaborate tablescapes because my kids (AKA the husband) like to rearrange it when I am not looking.  It drives my OCD a little crazy but I have learned to deal with it.  Plus my son is like Pig Pen from Charlie Brown...dirt and mess just follow him.  He can a have sandwich and somehow my 6 person rectangular  black kitchen table is covered in crumbs.  But he's cute...  Our everyday table is also our formal dining table.  It sits smack in the middle of the kitchen.  Usually by Wednesday, it is covered in school permission slips, homework, graded papers,etc.  Needless to say that would be another reason for a simple tablescape.  Here's my tablescape that I created for Thanksgiving.
           
                   

Now for a few tips on how to create your simple but pretty table.
1.  Low Maintenance Runner:  I made this runner.  I bought a 1 1/2 yard of this cute fabric of cream and sand chevron.  It looked slightly gold in the store but when I got it home, I realized it was a tan color. Oh well!  The fabric is cotton so when little man gets peanut butter on it, it will wash fine.  With a little ironing, it will be good as new.

2.  Candles:  I love candles on the table.  Whether they are battery powered or not,  I love them.  These two orange ones came from JoAnn's after Halloween.  I scored a deal and got them both for about $4!

3.  Fresh Flowers:  There is just something about having fresh flowers in the house.  I like to keep them on the table in the kitchen, the sofa table in the sitting room and the coffee table in the living room.  Luckily I have 3 rose bushes so I can usually keep fresh flowers around.  I chose white roses for Thanksgiving because it went with my scheme better.  White roses are just so clean and simple.

4.  Mason Jars:  Gotta love mason jars!! Add some fresh flowers and it makes the perfect low-fuss vase!

5.  Filler pieces:  To finish out my table (and still make things functional), I added gold salt and pepper shakers.  They are the cutest owls that I found at Home Goods back in September.  I even bought an extra pair that I gave away in my first blog giveaway!  Lastly, I found this sweet little sign at Kirklands back in September (or maybe August!) that reads "sweeter than pumpkin pie."  When I bought it, I wasn't sure what I would do with it.  I think it finishes out my "low fuss" Thanksgiving table just fine.

Here's proof you don't need to spend a ton of money to make your table pretty.  We left the entire set up on the table all month long.  We were still able to enjoy our Sunday breakfasts because we could still see each other.  Our conversations were not distracted by huge flower arrangements or pieces that were not "kid proof."

Hugs y'all,
LSG

No comments:

Post a Comment