Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Texas Tuesday-The Lone Star Jack

For today's Texas Tuesday, I wanted to do something different.  Usually I blog about some great place in Texas to visit.  In this blog, I wanted to bring two of my favorites together: Halloween and Texas!  So that brings us to this guy!  Yes, the sticker says it's Oklahoma grown!

              
It's been a few years since I carved a pumpkin.  The last time I carved a pumpkin, my daughter was 4, and accidentally called 911.  Cue the policemen at the door and mama answering with a pumpkin knife in her hand.  Yea, that was a fun afternoon!  Now that my kids are older (and we no longer have a house phone), I thought I would give it a try.  But I did not want a traditional jack-o- lantern.  I needed a simple design.  I needed a cool design.  I needed one that represented our family.

First, we cut the top off and cleaned out all the goop!!  We saved the pumpkin seeds to roast later!
              
              My lovely assistant for 2 handfuls of pumpkin guts.  Then he was done!

Once all the goop and seeds were out, I traced the face on the pumpkin.  I let the little guy help pick the design.  I had a few ideas that he could pick from.  When I finally got the design traced, it was time to start cutting. The lovely assistant did not want to touch the pumpkin anymore but he had PLENTY of opinions on how I should carve the pumpkin.  However, I blocked the 8 year old's opinions on how to carve and.... this is what we ended up with.
            
              
I still need to preserve our pumpkin.  He is staying inside since our dog loves pumpkins!  To preserve the pumpkin, you can find various ways online.  I am going to soak ours in bleach water for 1-2 hours.  I will add a teaspoon of bleach for each gallon of water.  You  can also put one of those silica packets (like those packets that come in new shoes!)to keep away mold. I used a votive since that was what I had but candle heat dries out the inside of the pumpkin.  Tomorrow I will be going to look for a battery operated one!

Hope you enjoyed my pumpkin carving journey.  This one inspired me to think of other ways to incorporate Texas into other pumpkin pojects!!  I think I might feel another blog coming on!l

Hugs y'all!
LSG

  


   

No comments:

Post a Comment