Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday's 5 Favorites: Cute Pumpkins with No Carving!

Carving a pumpkin is not everyone's cup of tea. It's gross, messy, time-consuming, and, if you don't like pumpkins, it stinks! But it's fall and there is some unwritten rule that I need cute pumpkins in my house (Pinterest pressured again!) My dear sweet lab (yes there's sarcasm there) keeps eating my pumpkins outside so I needed some small ones inside. As much as I love white pumpkins, they need a little pizazz too.  I worked this week on decorating a few to add to my extensive Halloween set up in the house.  Here's what I came up with.

1.  MONOGRAM PUMPKIN:
This might be my favorite!!!  I painted this pumpkin with chalkboard paint.  You can spray paint it any color; I just liked the look of chalkpaint.  I spray painted a wooden "W" with gold spray paint.  Once everything was dry, I took my glue gun to adhere the "W".  This pumpkin is sitting on our bench on the front porch.  LOVE IT!!
                  
   
2.  SPRAY PAINT AND PEARLS:
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about my Halloween color scheme in the living room-black, cream and gold.  I took the small pumpkins (also called gourds) and spray painted them gold.  Once it dried, I took my glue gun and some flat backed pearls, and went to town! I love the way it turned out!!!  I have a few more fake pumpkins that are about to get the same treatment! Seriously it took longer for these babies to dry than it did to decorate them.
                       
3.  WASHI TAPE:
Another easy 5 minute pumpkin idea the kids could do!  I found a pack of turquoise colored washi tape at Hobby Lobby on sale.  Since our sitting room off the kitchen is brightly colored, I added a few bright, non-traditional Halloween colored items like lime green skull head.  This pumpkin would fit perfectly in that room once done.  I chose a white pumpkin (the only one the dog did not completely eat!). I started my strip of washi tape at the stem and went down toward the bottom of the pumpkin.  I did this all the way around with different strips.  My pack came with chevron, polkadots and a solid turquoise roll.  I added a gold bow to the top.
                             

4.  RIBBON:
This pumpkin is so easy, a monkey could do it.  I used another pie pumpkin since I was putting it on the mantel.  I bought to two spools of ribbon in black and gold.  One ribbon was wider than the other so that I could layer them.  I wrapped the wide ribbon around the pumpkin and hot glued it to the back.  I took the thin ribbon (polkadots!!) and wrapped it around the gold ribbon, making sure that stayed in the middle of the gold ribbon.  I put a few sporadic dots of hot glue to hold the thin ribbon.  That's it!!  I did add a bow around the stem to hide it a little.
       
5.  PUSHIPNS:
The last super easy , non-carving alternative is to use pushpins (or thumbtacks).  I found a box of 100 at Hobby Lobby by the counter.  I took my last white pumpkin and stuck pins every place I could.  I started with a pattern but that got out of control quick.  It gives it a nice polkadot effect.  And we know how much I LOVE polkadots!!!

                           
 

There you have it folks!  5 alternatives to carving pumpkins that won't break the bank or take up an entire weekend!  Most of these ideas that kiddos can do too!!  Just be careful with the glue gun!  Then when you are done, enjoy the pumpkin recipes from Wednesday and the Cheesecake Pumpkin Martini from yesterday's post!  Happy Friday friends!

Hugs y'all!
LSG

   
   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment