Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Texas Tuesday- The Enchanted Edition

Each summer, we take a road trip with a "loose" agenda of places we want to see and eat at.  This past summer we took a trip to the beautiful hill country.  I mentioned the wineries in last Thirsty Thursday's blog.  Today's blog is all about one "enchanted" place right outside of Fredericksburg, Texas.   You feel like you can see the entire world from the summit.


 I am talking about Enchanted Rock. However, it is not for the faint of heart.  If you want to see those views, you are going to have to work for it!!  Be ready to climb straight up a steep mountain.  

Sure, it may not look that bad in the picture.  That's what I thought... boy was I wrong!  Make sure to take good walking/climbing shoes and plenty of water (especially if you are going in the summer).  We did the climb early one August morning.
So what is Enchanted Rock?  It is a GIANT pink granite rock formation between Fredericksburg and Llano.  It measures 500 feet tall, making it the second largest formation in North America.  It is estimated to be at least 1 billion years old, making it the oldest exposed rock in North America. The hike to the top is only 6/10 of a mile...but don't fool yourself...it's a tough 6/10!  The park does also offer 7 miles of hiking trails for those not interested in making the trip to the summit.
That's me after I climbed it with my kiddos and hubby!  After all the complaining about how hard it was, I would definitely do it again!!

PS-Pistol wants the readers to know if they get the summit and it smells less than fresh...that's because he broke wind up there!  That is his claim to fame.   (Welcome to my world!!)

Hugs ya'll
LSG

No comments:

Post a Comment